The barbershop building, located at Franklin Avenue by Zabriskie Pond, was restored during the summer of 2018. The building was donated to the WHS in 1978 by former resident and WHS Sebastian Gaeta. It has undergone several repairs over the years.
The interior and exterior walls were painted and the floors were stained in 2018. Period paint colors were chosen based upon salvaged bead board and trim from the original structure. Roof and gutter repairs were completed in 2019.
Originally a barbershop in 1905, it became a cobbler shop and them back to a barbershop in 1922. Its original locations were Clinton and Everett Avenues and then Main Street. The Society transformed the building into a museum to exhibit Wyckoff artifacts, ephemeral, and photographs.
The Society currently displays items donated by barber Frank Muscara who owned Frank’s Barbershop on Franklin Avenue from 1952 to 2005. Also on display are items from Russell Farms, the DePew house (which was razed in 2004) a girl’s dress c. 1905, as well as other Wyckoff artifacts. The Society is seeking a grant to help offset the cost of electrifying the building. A climate-controlled environment will allow the Society to offer a variety of public exhibitions and tours year-round.
Thank you to the Wyckoff Area Garden Club for keeping our planters blooming in color!
Visit our website and Facebook page for updates for public openings. The Museum is currently closed due to COVID-19. We hope to open when it is safe to schedule public events.