Catherine Hartung and her son Charles came to Wyckoff in 1875 and combined some land parcels to make a 225-acre estate. They built a 16-room Victorian house and several outbuildings at approximately 519 Wyckoff Avenue. Charles and his wife, Marie, had 11 children who gave up the estate. A red barn from the estate still stands at the corner of Carlton Avenue and Robin Place. The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree in 1939 was taken from the Hartung property. The Hartung house is shown just before its demolition in 1966.