Cobbler Shop – Circa 1980
This structure was recorded as being a barber shop in 1905, when it was owned by John Lawrence, who worked for the railroad during the day and cut hair at night, using a kerosene lamp hung from the ceiling. It was also a cobbler shop for several years and then again was a barbershop. The building was on Main Street and Everett Avenue before moving to its current home by Zabriskie Pond after being donated to the Wyckoff Historical Society by Wyckoff resident and WHS member, Sebastian Gaeta. The building was in disrepair after several years of neglect and was restored several times, most recently in the summer of 2018 by the WHS. Local artifacts including items from Russell Farms and a barber chair from longtime Wyckoff barber, Frank Muscara are on display, along with a 1905 child’s dress. A photographic exhibition, “Faces and Places of Wyckoff” will open on History Day 2019.
Recent renovations included painting the interior in period colors, refinishing the bare wood floors, and painting the exterior in period colors. Several artifacts are now on exhibit – and a few new ones have been added. The new WHS Museum will be open periodically through the year, including December 1 and May 4 (History Day).